Meet Dr. R. Clark Mooty
Dr. R. Clark Mooty is double board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery in plastic and reconstructive surgery and the American Board of Surgery in general surgery. He is a current and active member of the American Society of Plastic Surgery as well as the Texas Society of Plastic Surgeons. He is also a candidate for membership to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. A native Texan and graduate of Texas Tech, Dr. Mooty is happy to be back in Lubbock, serving his West Texas neighbors. Dr. Mooty's years of training and experience have made him one of the best West Texas plastic surgeons in cosmetic breast surgery, breast reconstruction, body contouring after weight loss, facial surgery, cancer reconstruction, and non-surgical rejuvenation treatments. Dr. Mooty continues to expand his knowledge and techniques by continuously researching the latest research and technology available in plastic surgery. His own research and publications prove his dedication to providing the best care to his patients and helping other doctors better serve their patients.
Dr. R. Clark Mooty graduated Magna Cum Laude from Texas Tech University with a degree in Zoology. He then attended medical school at the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center. His formal surgical training included completion of a five-year General Surgery Residency at Methodist Dallas Medical Center, one of the largest and long-standing hospitals in the Dallas metroplex. He was then selected to the long established Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Residency at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. During each training experience, Dr. R. Clark Mooty served as Chief Resident during each respective senior year.
- 2009 | Fundamentals of Laparoscopic Surgery Program Memberships
- 2010 | Board Certified - American Board of Surgery
- 2012 | Candidate Member of the Texas Society of Plastic Surgeons
- 2013 | Board Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
- 2013 | Candidate Member of the American Society of Plastic Surgery
- 2013 | American Board of Plastic Surgery Maintenance of Certification Program
- 1999 - 2000 | Texas Tech University Techniques Center Tutor - Tutored General Chemistry and Mathematics to undergraduate students with learning disabilities
- 1999 - 2001 | Pre-professional Health Careers Student Advisor - Advised undergraduate students with scheduling and management of time pertaining to their particular field of interest
- 2009 - 2010 | Medical One Urgent Care | Primary Care Medicine Sherman, TX
- 2010 | Methodist Health Systems - McKinney | Emergency Department Staff McKinney, TX
- 2012 - Present | Schmid and Mooty Plastic Surgery - The Lubbock Plastic Surgery Institute - R. Clark Mooty MD, PA - Private Practice | Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- M Brzezienski, RC Mooty, J Jarrell. Classification and Management of Seromas in Immediate Tissue Expander/A cellular Dermal Matrix Breast Reconstruction: A Review of 100 Consecutive Reconstructions. Annals of Plastic Surgery – approved for publication 2012. Poster Presentation – 2012 Southeastern Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons Annual Meeting
- RC Mooty, A Mangram, V Johnson, M Truitt, H Jefferson, E Dunn. Blunt Traumatic Abdominal Aortic Dissection with Concomitant Traumatic Abdominal Wall Hernia and Small Bowel Injury - A Surgical Conundrum. Am Surg. 2010 Aug;76(8):911-2. Oral Presentation - 2009 Southwestern Surgical Congress Meeting. Oral Presentation - 2008 Hobert Trauma Symposium Dallas, TX
- RC Mooty, A Mangram, B Serkin, E Dunn. Rheumatoid Arthritis Causing a Surgical Airway Emergency. Am Surg. 2010 May;76(5):548-9. Poster Presentation - 2009 North Texas Chapter American College of Surgeons Meeting
- MS Truitt, RC Mooty, JD Amos, et al. Out with the Old in with the New: A Novel Approach to Treating Pain Associated with Rib Fractures. World J Surg. 2010 Oct;34(10):2359-62 Oral Presentation - International Surgical Week 2009
- V Johnson, MS Truitt, RC Mooty, et al. Civilian and Military Trauma: Does Civilian Training Prepare You for the Battlefield? World J Surg. 2009 Vol 33;S76: Abstract 0198 Oral Presentation - International Surgical Week 2009. Oral Presentation - North Texas Chapter American College of Surgeons Meeting 2009
- Mitchell CD, Mooty RC, Dunn EL, Ramberger KC, Mangram AJ. Resident Fatigue: Is there a Patient Safety Issue? Am J Surg. 2009 Dec;198(6):811-6. Oral Presentation - 2009 Southwestern Surgical Congress Meeting
- Mooty RC, Rath P, Self M, Dunn E, Mangram A. Review of tracheo-esophageal fistula associated with endotracheal intubation. .J Surg Educ. 2007 Jul-Aug;64(4):237-40.
- Mooty RC, Johnson V, Lorenzo M, et al. Peripheral Arterial Catheterization in the Intensive Care Setting: Is a Temporal Factor Alone an Indication for Discontinuation. Crit Care Med. 2007 Dec:35(12):1013. Oral Presentation - 2008 North Texas Chapter American College of Surgeons Meeting. Poster Presentation - 2008 Society of Critical Care Medicine Meeting
- 2000 - 2001 | Research Assistant Genetic and Biochemical Approaches at Determining the Structure-Function Relationship Between TolC and Escherichia coli Outer Membrane Efflux Protein Employed in MDR Efflux Systems. Joe A. Fralick PhD, TTUHSC Department of Microbiology and Immunology.
- 2001 | Who's Who Among Students in American Colleges and Universities - Texas Tech University
- 2001 | Mortar Board National College Senior Honor Society - Texas Tech University
- 2004 - 2005 | Research Assistant Evaluation of the Safety and Efficacy of Fibrin Sealant with 4IU/ml Thrombin Vapor Heated, Solvent/Detergent Treated (FS 4IU VH S/D) to Adhere Tissues and Improve Wound Healing. John A. Griswold MD, FACS, TTUHSC Department of Surgical Clinical Research.
- 2005 | Factors Determining Primary Closure of the Abdomen in Trauma Patients with a Vacuum Pack (VacPac). S Dissanaike MD, RC Mooty MS, M Banister MD, J Griswold MD, FACS Oral Presentation - 2006 North Texas Chapter American College of Surgeons Meeting
- 2006 | A Survey of the Southwest Surgical Congress Members' Practices in Inguinal Hernia Repair: What is Today’s Procedure of Choice? RC Mooty MD, A Mangram MD, FACS, E Dunn MD, FACS Poster Presentation - 2007 Southwestern Surgical Congress Meeting
- 2007 | A Computer Based Trauma Alcohol/Drug Intervention Program A Mangram MD, FACS, RC Mooty MD, J Fagan BSN, RN, et al. Poster Presentation - 2008 North Texas Chapter American College of Surgeons Meeting
- 2007 and 2008 | Methodist Health Systems Great Award Nominee - Nominated by ICU Nursing Team in 2008 and 2007
- 2008 | North Texas Chapter American College of Surgeons - Best Trauma and Critical Care Oral Presentation - Peripheral Arterial Catheterization in the Intensive Care Setting: Is a Temporal Factor Alone an Indication for Discontinuation.
- 2009 | Biologic Mesh Used for Repair of a Traumatic Abdominal Wall Hernia: A Case Report. V Shifflette MD, RC Mooty MD, HC Jefferson MD, FACS, A Mangram MD, FACS, E Dunn MD, FACS Poster Presentation North Texas American College of Surgeons 2010
- 2009 | Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation in the Field: A Battle Worth Fighting For? RC Mooty MD, K Oliviera MD, A Mangram MD, FACS, E Dunn MD, FACS Oral Presentation Western Trauma Association Meeting 2010 Accepted for publication in American Surgeon 2010 or 2011
- 2010 | Male Breast Cancer Presenting as an Acrometastasis to the Hand RC Mooty MD, CW Hayes MD, FACS, LA Sargent MD, FACS
- 2017 Best of the West, Best Plastic Surgeon
Public Service & Activities
- 1997 - 2001 | Phi Delta Theta Fraternity. Community Service Chairman 2000, Scholarship Chairman 1999
- 1999 - 2001 | Alpha Epsilon Delta, Vice President 2000-2001.
- 2006 | Public Service Announcement - Importance of Bicycle Helmet Use - Conducted a short course on the safety and application of bicycle helmets to elementary school children - presented on Dallas Local Evening News
- 2006 - 2009 | Continuing Medical Education Committee - Surgical Residency Representative
- 2007 | Fundamentals of Critical Care Course - Trauma Section Instructor - review of clinical scenarios to ancillary staff
- 2008 - 2010 | Watermark Church Community Group - Active member in group involved in community volunteer efforts
- 2010 - 2011 | University of Tennessee - Chattanooga Graduate Medical Education - Plastic Surgery Representative
- 2012 - Present | Koman Race for the Cure - Sponsor and Participant
Outside of Medicine
Dr. Mooty and his wife, Heather, are proud to return to Lubbock. They are blessed with two girls: Emerson and Scarlett. They look forward to being a part of the community for years to come. In addition to spending time with his family and friends, Dr. Mooty also enjoys playing golf, snow skiing, traveling, exercising, going to live music venues. When he gets a chance, Dr. Mooty practices his hobby, home and landscape design.
Dr. Mooty's Medical Privileges
"43 Mother of 2, GiGi of 2 - Lubbock, TX - Dr Mooty is great. Answered all of my questions and concerns pre-op and post -op. Bedside manner is impeccable. Top notch. Perfectionist. Professional. I've referred him to my friends and will continue to recommend him to anyone looking for a plastic surgeon."
"Dr. Moody is amazing! I have always wanted to get breast implants but I was still extremely nervous about the surgery. I didn’t want them being too big or not big enough and wasn’t sure about what size to go with. He was great about making me feel comfortable and recommending a size based on the look I told him I was going for. My surgery went perfectly and I am more than happy with my results. My implants look and feel so natural! I’m so glad I chose Dr. Moody as my surgeon!"
"Dr. Mooty is absolutely wonderful to work with. As a patient of his, receiving a breast augmentation, he was so professional. He made me feel respected, and listened to my concerns, and answered all of my questions. His work is phenomenal--the best in town. I know of 4 other women who have had this procedure with him, and they, like me, look very natural. He is knowledgeable in helping choose the size that fits you and your body type. He is attentive, kind, and understanding. "
"The whole experience has been great. The office is beautiful. The receptionist is warm and cheery. The Operating room is in the office so you don't have to mess with all of the extra headache of going to a hospital. The anesthesiologist was awesome! And Dr Mooty! He is so warm and friendly and took the time to listen to my concerns and offered suggestions. The pricing is very reasonable as well!! I will go back for more in the future!!"
"I've had Botox injections and breast augmentation w/ mastopexy (lift) w/ Dr. Mooty. I am SO excited about my results. Dr. Mooty is very knowledgeable and professional he really listened to what I was invisioning for myself and helped me make the right choices. I did a lot of research when choosing a doctor and listen to countless friends and friends of friends opinions on their doctors, many that didn't use Mooty had regrets and complaints. I have zero regrets or complaints. Awesome staff too!!!"