Meet Dr. R. Clark Mooty
Dr. R. Clark Mooty is double board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery in plastic and reconstructive surgery and the American Board of Surgery in general surgery. He is a current and active member of the American Society of Plastic Surgery as well as the Texas Society of Plastic Surgeons. He is also a candidate for membership to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. A native Texan and graduate of Texas Tech, Dr. Mooty is happy to be back in Lubbock, serving his West Texas neighbors. Dr. Mooty's years of training and experience have made him one of the best West Texas plastic surgeons in cosmetic breast surgery, breast reconstruction, body contouring after weight loss, facial surgery, cancer reconstruction, and non-surgical rejuvenation treatments. Dr. Mooty continues to expand his knowledge and techniques by continuously researching the latest research and technology available in plastic surgery. His own research and publications prove his dedication to providing the best care to his patients and helping other doctors better serve their patients.
Dr. R. Clark Mooty graduated Magna Cum Laude from Texas Tech University with a degree in Zoology. He then attended medical school at the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center. His formal surgical training included completion of a five-year General Surgery Residency at Methodist Dallas Medical Center, one of the largest and long-standing hospitals in the Dallas metroplex. He was then selected to the long established Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Residency at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. During each training experience, Dr. R. Clark Mooty served as Chief Resident during each respective senior year.
- 2009 | Fundamentals of Laparoscopic Surgery Program Memberships
- 2010 | Board Certified - American Board of Surgery
- 2012 | Candidate Member of the Texas Society of Plastic Surgeons
- 2013 | Board Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
- 2013 | Candidate Member of the American Society of Plastic Surgery
- 2013 | American Board of Plastic Surgery Maintenance of Certification Program
- 1999 - 2000 | Texas Tech University Techniques Center Tutor - Tutored General Chemistry and Mathematics to undergraduate students with learning disabilities
- 1999 - 2001 | Pre-professional Health Careers Student Advisor - Advised undergraduate students with scheduling and management of time pertaining to their particular field of interest
- 2009 - 2010 | Medical One Urgent Care | Primary Care Medicine Sherman, TX
- 2010 | Methodist Health Systems - McKinney | Emergency Department Staff McKinney, TX
- 2012 - Present | Schmid and Mooty Plastic Surgery - The Lubbock Plastic Surgery Institute - R. Clark Mooty MD, PA - Private Practice | Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- M Brzezienski, RC Mooty, J Jarrell. Classification and Management of Seromas in Immediate Tissue Expander/A cellular Dermal Matrix Breast Reconstruction: A Review of 100 Consecutive Reconstructions. Annals of Plastic Surgery – approved for publication 2012. Poster Presentation – 2012 Southeastern Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons Annual Meeting
- RC Mooty, A Mangram, V Johnson, M Truitt, H Jefferson, E Dunn. Blunt Traumatic Abdominal Aortic Dissection with Concomitant Traumatic Abdominal Wall Hernia and Small Bowel Injury - A Surgical Conundrum. Am Surg. 2010 Aug;76(8):911-2. Oral Presentation - 2009 Southwestern Surgical Congress Meeting. Oral Presentation - 2008 Hobert Trauma Symposium Dallas, TX
- RC Mooty, A Mangram, B Serkin, E Dunn. Rheumatoid Arthritis Causing a Surgical Airway Emergency. Am Surg. 2010 May;76(5):548-9. Poster Presentation - 2009 North Texas Chapter American College of Surgeons Meeting
- MS Truitt, RC Mooty, JD Amos, et al. Out with the Old in with the New: A Novel Approach to Treating Pain Associated with Rib Fractures. World J Surg. 2010 Oct;34(10):2359-62 Oral Presentation - International Surgical Week 2009
- V Johnson, MS Truitt, RC Mooty, et al. Civilian and Military Trauma: Does Civilian Training Prepare You for the Battlefield? World J Surg. 2009 Vol 33;S76: Abstract 0198 Oral Presentation - International Surgical Week 2009. Oral Presentation - North Texas Chapter American College of Surgeons Meeting 2009
- Mitchell CD, Mooty RC, Dunn EL, Ramberger KC, Mangram AJ. Resident Fatigue: Is there a Patient Safety Issue? Am J Surg. 2009 Dec;198(6):811-6. Oral Presentation - 2009 Southwestern Surgical Congress Meeting
- Mooty RC, Rath P, Self M, Dunn E, Mangram A. Review of tracheo-esophageal fistula associated with endotracheal intubation. .J Surg Educ. 2007 Jul-Aug;64(4):237-40.
- Mooty RC, Johnson V, Lorenzo M, et al. Peripheral Arterial Catheterization in the Intensive Care Setting: Is a Temporal Factor Alone an Indication for Discontinuation. Crit Care Med. 2007 Dec:35(12):1013. Oral Presentation - 2008 North Texas Chapter American College of Surgeons Meeting. Poster Presentation - 2008 Society of Critical Care Medicine Meeting
- 2000 - 2001 | Research Assistant Genetic and Biochemical Approaches at Determining the Structure-Function Relationship Between TolC and Escherichia coli Outer Membrane Efflux Protein Employed in MDR Efflux Systems. Joe A. Fralick PhD, TTUHSC Department of Microbiology and Immunology.
- 2001 | Who's Who Among Students in American Colleges and Universities - Texas Tech University
- 2001 | Mortar Board National College Senior Honor Society - Texas Tech University
- 2004 - 2005 | Research Assistant Evaluation of the Safety and Efficacy of Fibrin Sealant with 4IU/ml Thrombin Vapor Heated, Solvent/Detergent Treated (FS 4IU VH S/D) to Adhere Tissues and Improve Wound Healing. John A. Griswold MD, FACS, TTUHSC Department of Surgical Clinical Research.
- 2005 | Factors Determining Primary Closure of the Abdomen in Trauma Patients with a Vacuum Pack (VacPac). S Dissanaike MD, RC Mooty MS, M Banister MD, J Griswold MD, FACS Oral Presentation - 2006 North Texas Chapter American College of Surgeons Meeting
- 2006 | A Survey of the Southwest Surgical Congress Members' Practices in Inguinal Hernia Repair: What is Today’s Procedure of Choice? RC Mooty MD, A Mangram MD, FACS, E Dunn MD, FACS Poster Presentation - 2007 Southwestern Surgical Congress Meeting
- 2007 | A Computer Based Trauma Alcohol/Drug Intervention Program A Mangram MD, FACS, RC Mooty MD, J Fagan BSN, RN, et al. Poster Presentation - 2008 North Texas Chapter American College of Surgeons Meeting
- 2007 and 2008 | Methodist Health Systems Great Award Nominee - Nominated by ICU Nursing Team in 2008 and 2007
- 2008 | North Texas Chapter American College of Surgeons - Best Trauma and Critical Care Oral Presentation - Peripheral Arterial Catheterization in the Intensive Care Setting: Is a Temporal Factor Alone an Indication for Discontinuation.
- 2009 | Biologic Mesh Used for Repair of a Traumatic Abdominal Wall Hernia: A Case Report. V Shifflette MD, RC Mooty MD, HC Jefferson MD, FACS, A Mangram MD, FACS, E Dunn MD, FACS Poster Presentation North Texas American College of Surgeons 2010
- 2009 | Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation in the Field: A Battle Worth Fighting For? RC Mooty MD, K Oliviera MD, A Mangram MD, FACS, E Dunn MD, FACS Oral Presentation Western Trauma Association Meeting 2010 Accepted for publication in American Surgeon 2010 or 2011
- 2010 | Male Breast Cancer Presenting as an Acrometastasis to the Hand RC Mooty MD, CW Hayes MD, FACS, LA Sargent MD, FACS
- 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 Best of the West, Best Plastic Surgeon
Public Service & Activities
- 1997 - 2001 | Phi Delta Theta Fraternity. Community Service Chairman 2000, Scholarship Chairman 1999
- 1999 - 2001 | Alpha Epsilon Delta, Vice President 2000-2001.
- 2006 | Public Service Announcement - Importance of Bicycle Helmet Use - Conducted a short course on the safety and application of bicycle helmets to elementary school children - presented on Dallas Local Evening News
- 2006 - 2009 | Continuing Medical Education Committee - Surgical Residency Representative
- 2007 | Fundamentals of Critical Care Course - Trauma Section Instructor - review of clinical scenarios to ancillary staff
- 2008 - 2010 | Watermark Church Community Group - Active member in group involved in community volunteer efforts
- 2010 - 2011 | University of Tennessee - Chattanooga Graduate Medical Education - Plastic Surgery Representative
- 2012 - Present | Koman Race for the Cure - Sponsor and Participant
Outside of Medicine
Dr. Mooty and his wife, Heather, are blessed with two girls: Emerson and Scarlett. They love being a part of the Lubbock community and are thankful to call west Texas their home. In addition to spending time with his family and friends, Dr. Mooty also enjoys playing golf, snow skiing, traveling, exercising, going to live music venues. When he gets a chance, Dr. Mooty practices his hobby, home and landscape design.
Dr. Mooty's Medical Privileges
"I recently had a consultation with Dr Mooty and I could not have been more impressed with his professionalism. He offered amazing bedside manner and TRULY listened to my concerns as a patient.... At no point did I feel rushed or as if I could not ask any & every question possible. I went into the appointment feeling anxious & he truly helped me feel comfortable enough to discuss every concern I had. His staff was also extremely helpful, friendly, & caring.... Without a doubt the best medical office staff I have EVER come across in Midland!!I would highly recommend his practice to my family & friends!"
"Dr Mooty is great! ! I recommend seeing him. He makes you feel comfortable with yourself."
"Dr.Schmid is amazing! Love his work! Great staff! I highly recommend him and Dr.Mooty!! 🙂"
"Dr. Mooty did an AMAZING job, and what an AWESOME facility! My wife had a tummy tuck procedure to repair child 3 birth trauma to her abdominal wall muscles and remove some stubborn excess skin/marks left behind. Having always been very fit and confident about her self-image, she was very frustrated with her stomach area 2 years post childbirth even though the rest of her body was responding well to exercise/fitness. She felt like no matter what she did with exercise/diet, it was not going to change her problem area. I watched her lose confidence in wearing certain clothes and start covering up during swim-suit season. Dr. Mooty's procedure gave her back this confidence and she could not be happier! Truly a life-changing experience that has re-energized my beautiful wife mentally and physically. Thank you Dr. Mooty!! Cory & Krystal Cooper"
"From my consultation, to preop, to surgery day: Dr. Mooty & all staff were amazing. Keeping me informed, calm, and up to speed on all going on. They were so kind and exactly what anyone would want in a surgical team! I’m only one day out from surgery but already impressed with my results. "