Meet Dr. Robert P. Schmid
Dr. Robert P. Schmid has been Board Certified in Plastic Surgery since 2003 and he was elected into the prestigious American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery in 2007. Since becoming a plastic surgeon, Dr. Robert P. Schmid has performed thousands of cosmetic procedures including breast augmentation, breast lift, breast reduction, liposuction, tummy tuck, face-lifts, cancer surgery, and more, which is more than any other plastic surgeon in Lubbock and West Texas. Dr. Schmid is also the most decorated plastic surgeon from between the Dallas/Fort Worth area and Phoenix, AZ. Dr. Schmid is compassionate and attentive to every patient he sees. He makes every effort to ensure that all questions are answered and that the patient always feel comfortable about any procedure that will be performed. He specializes in breast cancer reconstruction and is active in Komen Race for the Cure and the American Cancer Society.
Dr. Schmid has made the Texas Monthly Super Doctor in Plastic Surgery list for 2015. He was one of only 3 plastic surgeons west of I-35 to receive this prestigious honor. Additionally, Dr. Schmid has just received Mentor LEAD surgeon for 2015. He is the only plastic surgeon in the history of Lubbock and West Texas to receive this distinction. This is also the fourth year in a row he received this award.
Dr. Robert P. Schmid graduated Magna Cum Laude from Texas Tech University in 1993 and with Honors from University of Texas Medical School in 1997. He was one of 19 residents nationwide selected to start a dedicated Plastic Surgery Residency in 1997. While completing his residency, he served as chief resident at the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston (2001-2002). He received additional training in cosmetic surgery at the Stuzin/Baker Fellowship in Miami and in breast reconstruction at the MD Anderson Clinic in Houston.
Mentor's LEAD Council
Mentor Worldwide is a global manufacturer of surgical aesthetic products, including saline, silicone, and ultra cohesive breast implants. LEAD stands for Leadership, Experience, and Development in Breast Augmentation. The Mentor LEAD Program Advisory Board invites a select group of plastic surgeons to discuss new products, programs, and innovations. These renowned plastic surgeons come together to exchange experiences and advancements in breast development technology and pioneering progress in this distinctive field. Dr. Schmid of The Lubbock Plastic Surgery Institute Texas is honored to once again be invited to the conference. To learn more, visit www.lpsitexas.com/meet-the-doctors/lead-council-member/.
- Alpha Omega Honor Society, 1996 – Present
- Texas Medical Association, 1994 – Present
- American Medical Association, 1994 – Present
- Texas Society of Plastic Surgeons, 2001 – Present
- University of Texas Medical Branch Alumni Society, 2002 – Present
- Lubbock County Medical Society, 2003 – Present
- Plastic Surgery Educational Foundation, 2004 – Present
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons, 2004 – Present
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, 2007 – Present
- Allergan Speaker Bureau
- Allergan Cosmetic Advisory Board Member
- Allergan Plastic & Reconstructive Medicine Cosmetic Advisory Board
Presentations & Publications
- “Two-Stage Approach for Submuscular Conversion of Breast Implants in Cases of Subglandular Capsular Contracture,” Schmid, RP., Presented at the Texas Society of Plastic Surgery Annual Meeting in September 2003.
- “Comparison of Pressure in Clinical Lavage Systems”. Schmid, R.P., Phillips, L.G., Blackwell, S.J. Presented at the Singleton Surgical Society, June 2001. Winner of Singleton Clinical Paper Award. Presented at the Texas Society of Plastic Surgery in October 2001. Presented at the Senior Residents Conference in March 2002.
- “Anatomic Basis of Notch Deformity in Open Rhinoplasty”, Gamboa, M. & Schmid, R.P., Annals of Plastic Surgery, 2003.
- “Application of Rapid-Strep Screen for Pre-Operative Workup of Cleft Lip and Palate Surgery”, Schmid, R.P., Burns, J.L., Antonetti, J.W., Heggers, J.P., Blackwell, S.J. Submitted for presentation to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons National Meeting in October 2002. Accepted for presentation at the Singleton Surgical Society in June 2002.
- “Cross-Chested Liposuction and Surgical Excision for Treatment of Gynecomastia”, Walder, J.L. & Schmid, R.P., Blackwell, S.J. Presented at the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons National Meeting in April 2002. Printed in the Aesthetic Surgery Journal in May/June 2004.
Awards & Community Involvement
- Texas Monthly Super Doctor in 2014, 2015 and 2016.
- Voted KCBD’S “Best of The West” in 2009, 2010, 2011,2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016,2017,2018,2019,2020
- Board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (2003)
- One of the youngest members ever to receive admission to the prestigious American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (2007)
- Has performed thousands of cosmetic procedures, including breast augmentation, breast lift, breast reduction, liposuction, tummy tuck, eyelid lifts, and facelifts
- Specializes in cosmetic surgery and breast cancer reconstruction
- Fourth generation West Texan, grandson of Former Texas Governor Preston Smith
- Honor graduate of both Texas Tech University and University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
- First resident to pilot the dedicated plastic surgery program at University of Texas Medical Branch (2002-2007), and first graduate to become board-certified
- Active in leadership positions with the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and the
- Texas Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Active in Komen Race for the Cure, American Cancer Society, Texas Tech Alumni,
- Church and civic activities
Outside of Medicine
Dr. Schmid is the grandson of former Texas Governor Preston Smith (1969-1973). He and his wife, Beth, were married in 1995 and enjoy raising their three children: Sarah Beth, Preston, and Pierce.
Dr. Schmid's Medical Privileges
"I love Dr Schmid and his entire office staff! They take great care to make sure you feel comfortable and they are all such great people. I had many friends recommend him, and I agree, he does the best work in town!! "
"Dr. Schmid's work is beautiful and natural. I was so nervous, but he and his staff were so kind. He did an outstanding job on my mommy makeover and I've told all my friends to go to him! "
"Dr. Schmid and his staff are the best I have encountered. They were readily available to answer any questions and concerns I had before my surgery. I was treated with respect and care. I am 38 years of age and I was a 32 AA starting out. I am now a 34 DD and I am very pleased with the results. I had my breast surgery in 2009. It is now 2013 and I am still very pleased with my results. I chose the saline. I love them. They feel natural and are holding up well. I feel like a new woman everyday. I would recommend Dr. Schmid to anyone looking into any type of breast surgery."
"My experience at Dr Schmids office was one of the best doctors visits that I have ever experienced. I was greeted by the most friendly receptionists and was really treated as if I was their #1 priority. I did not wait long for my consultation, the nurses were beyond professional and really made me feel comfortable talking to them and expressing my concerns. When I spoke with Dr. Schmid, he was really thorough and allowed me to ask questions and really undertand what my best options were. The office manager went over the details of the pre-op apppointment, procedure, post op visits, and everything that it entails allowing me to feel extremely comfortable making the decision to go ahead with the surgery. I just had my 6 month post op appointment with Dr. Schmid and I could not be happier. The results are everything that I wanted and more. I would definitely recommend Dr. Schmid to anyone that is interested in any form of cosmetic or reconstructive surgery."
"Dr Schmid and Dr Mooty are wonderful at what they do!! I definitely recommend them to all my friends!!"